Clinical & Functional Significance of Osteopathic Medicine
Instructional Objectives -- Functional & Clinical Significance of the Autonomic Nervous System
After completing these materials you will:
- Understand the basic differences between the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems.
- Know specific pathways for segmental sympathetic innervation of the viscera.
- Know specific pathways for segmental parasympathetic innervation of the viscera.
- Be aware of clinical implications for the patient when abnormal autonomic reflex activity is present?
- Know how osteopathic manipulative treatment can help to restore normal autonomic reflex activity?
- Be able to describe the differences between somatic reflex pathways and autonomic reflex pathways.
- Be able to describe and give examples of:
- Somato-somatic reflexes
- Viscero-cutaneous reflexes
- Viscero-somatic reflexes
- Cutaneo-visceral reflexes
- Viscero-visceral reflexes